About Pragjyotish College
Pragjyotish College, established on 1st September 1954, seven years after Independence, became a beacon of learning and a symbol of aspirations for the common people of Assam, raring to build a new nation. Pandit Tirthanath Sarma, eminent scholar and litterateur, responded to and actively participated in the nation building by taking charge as the founder Principal of Pragjyotish College. From its modest inception as an arts college, Pragjyotish College has now developed into one of the premier institutions of higher education in Guwahati. At present, it is a well-known full-fledged under-graduate college imparting higher education in multiple streams.
Situated on the western bank of the Bharalu, a rivulet, in the western part of Guwahati, Pragjyotish College is about 1 kilometre away from its confluence with the mighty Brahmaputra. It is about 4 kilometres from the Guwahati Railway Station and at a distance of about 20 kilometres from the Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport. At the backdrop of the college is a beautiful panoramic view of Nilachal Hills, the famous abode of Mother Goddess Kamakhya.
In the emblem of the college, is ingrained the motto “तेजस्विनावधीतमस्तु” (May our study make us illumined)and a conch shell at the centre on an eight-petalled full-blown beautiful-lotus, which symbolizes pure knowledge and the relationship between the teacher and the learner, praying to the Almighty for energy, protection, maintenance that ultimately leads to peace and bliss.
In its glorious existence of six decades, Pragjyotish College, as alma mater, has produced a galaxy of eminent personalities in all walks of life. The college celebrated its Diamond Jubilee Year during 2013–14.